Friday, March 9, 2012

Grapefruit mimosas


You've seen the forecast, girls. It's going to be a beautiful weekend! You know what that calls for... day drinking! What is my day drinking pick? Mimosas.

But this weekend, I demand a change. Ditch the orange, and bring in the GRAPEFRUIT! Here's why:

We've been told since childhood how healthy orange juice is. Every cereal commercial features orange juice alongside its O's or flakes. But while orange juice may contain amply Vitamin C, it's also pure sugar. I avoid it completely... except when it comes to mimosas (there's always an exception to the rule, right?).

Recently during a trip to San Francisco, however, my friend and I ordered a carafe of mimosas only to be asked if we would like it with orange juice or grapefruit juice. I let my friend do the ordering, as it was her neighborhood breakfast joint, and she went for the classic orange, but grapefruit juice in my mimosa was something new to me. Cool, I thought. I want to try.

While grapefruit juice, like orange, is still full of sugar, at least it is something different, and grapefruit is now talked up in the diet world because it speeds up the metabolism. I would never start chugging grapefruit juice to lose weight due to its staggering sugar content, but I will still welcome the occasional glass with open arms.

So I encourage you to switch it up next time you find yourself awaking to a mimosa type of morning, which may just be this weekend.

Cheers, and enjoy the sunshine, healthy chicks!

No comments: